Friday, February 13, 2009

Manong Wants to Configure his Wireless Connection

Yesterday I had a caller and I helped him configure his wireless connection. I can tell he is a Filipino because he is using words such as "wait a minute ah" and "come again?" - I can also tell that he is on his late 40's or 50's and very novice when it comes to computer . I can also hear a Tagalog song playing on the background. He is really having a hard time speaking in English because I can also hear from the background that he is asking one of his companions what is the English of this and that so he could explain what he is seeing on his screen. The conversation lasted for almost an hour because he I need to "tagalized" all my instructions such as "pull up Internet Explorer"...I need to say open Internet Explorer or if I need to ask him to right click I need to say "what you do is you are using the regular left click, to do a right click - do the opposite" (kahit ako nalilito na rin, hahahah!) Well umubra naman kay kuya ang mga troubleshooting steps ko kahit na di nya naiintindihan pag iniislang ko ang mga words...so what I did is I talk to him not as an American guy but as a Filipino manong without any slangs and jargons etc etc. After a very looong hour...Manong was able to connect to the internet! Yahoo! It would be such a relief because I really need to go to the washroom after that to pee. What happened next shocked me... he asked "From where are you here in the States?" (hahaha) and since we are allowed to say where we are located...I said am currently in the Philippines. Manong laughed very hard saying " I knew you are a Filipina....I can tell from your accent...do Americans understand you" followed by another "mapanlait" na laugh. Wahhahahahaaha! Sobrang inis ko talaga. I am not pretending to be an American...in fact, since I know he is a Filipino...I adopted to his language...to his phasing...to his accent to make it easier for him to follow my instructions (though we are required to talk like an American at all times). I did everything to make it easier for him and yet what I got is a laugh and a phrase that somewhat means..."PANO KA NATANGGAP SA CALL CENTER SA GANYANG ACCENT MO???" I was so strucked by what he said so I just laughed along with him saying "luckily they do..." and I said my closing script. Huhuhu, diko man lang nabawi dignidad ko sa call na yun. Sana lang hindi ako inauaudit that time because for sure...I would get a very low score in intonation and choice of words. Inis na inis ako talaga ke manong pero ngayon...natatawa nalang ako pag naaalala ko. Hahahaaha! Buhay call center nga naman oo!

1 nakiemote:

Anonymous said...

hehe. i think manong (and a lot of other people) don't really understand the rules and policies in call centers. maybe he was wondering about your manner of conversing without knowing that you were torn between following policies and adjusting to him. it's really common for a lot of people to misunderstand call center work and call center agents. hehe. yeah i hope you weren't audited :)

Post a Comment

thanks sa pakikiemote friendship...balik ka ha...

 
;